The Prime Minister has now set out his roadmap that will guide us of the current lockdown. While he cannot make any guarantees, he is hopeful that the plan will help move us irreversibly towards reclaiming our way of life while doing all we can to protect people against Covid. It is cautious and comprehensive.
Before moving to the next step, the Government will examine the data to assess the impact of the previous step. This assessment will be based on four tests:
- The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
- Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated
- Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS
- Our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern.
Step 1: 8 March
- Schools and colleges reopen for all students
- Recreation or exercise outdoors with households or one other person. No household mixing indoors.
- Stay at home.
- Funerals of 30, wakes and weddings of 6.
Step 1: 29 March
- Rule of 6 or two households outdoors
- Outdoor sports and leisure facilities
- Organised outdoor sport allowed
- Minimise travel. No holidays.
Step 2: At least five weeks after Step 1, no earlier than 12 April
- Indoor leisure (including gyms) open for use individually or within household groups
- Rule of 6 or two households outdoors. No household mixing indoors.
- Outdoor attractions such as zoos, theme parks and drive-in cinemas
- Libraries and community centres
- Personal care premises
- All retail
- Outdoor hospitality
- All children's activities
- Domestic overnight stays (household only)
- Self-contained accommodation (household only)
- Funerals (30), wakes and weddings (15)
- Minimise travel. No international holidays
- Event pilots begin
Step 3: No earlier than 17 May
- Indoor entertainment and attractions
- 30 person limit outdoors
- Rule of 6 or two households indoors
- Domestic overnight stays
- Organised indoor or adult sport
- Most significant life events (30)
- Remaining outdoor entertainment (including performances)
- Remaining accommodation
- Some large events: indoor 1,000 or 50%, outdoor 4,000 or 50% outdoor seated 10,000 or 25%
- International review - subject to review
Step 4: At least 5 weeks after Step 3, no earlier than 21 June
- No legal limits on social contacts
- Larger events
- No legal limit on all life events
The full roadmap is available here.